In November 2018 Office for European Expertise and Communications in partnership with the U.S. Embassy in Belarus invited Abby Ingraham, the US expert, to conduct trainings in four Belarusian cities and share her experience in practices of how to develop NGO capacity and manage non-profit organizations.
The trainings “NGO Management: Mission, Values, and Managerial Approaches” were designed for representatives of non-profit organizations and initiative groups with little experience, as well as for experienced NGOs that would wish to train their new members.
These trainings instructed participants in:
- developing a compelling mission statement based on their organizations’ core values and its target groups’ needs;
- properly building, expanding or restructuring their organizations while avoiding common pitfalls;
- effectively managing and distributing social, human, and financial resources;
- developing close partnerships with stakeholder groups;
- initiating and structuring fundraising strategies for robust donor involvement.
Who was the Expert?
Abby Ingraham, Maine, USA, is a business communications and non-profit management specialist. Abby has worked with companies such as SydneyWater directly supporting Sydney’s successful 2000 Olympic bid, the World Secretariat of the YWCA in Geneva, Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, the ILO, and others. She has two overriding passions that inform her work: fast forwarding collective advancement through improved organizational communication and teaching people how to maximize synergy between stakeholder groups.
Where and When?
Five identical trainings will took place in four regional centers in November 2018.
- November 13-14, Minsk (for participants from Minsk, Vitebsk, and Mogilev regions);
- November 16-17, Brest (for Brest region);
- November 19-20, Grodno (for Grodno region);
- November 23-24, Minsk (for Minsk, Vitebsk, and Mogilev regions);
- November 27-28, Gomel (for Gomel region).
Participants highly appreciated Abby’s work and said that the training met their expectations. They could formulate their mission more accurately and understand the mission of their organizations.
“The topics of the trainings are revealed through experience. It became clear how to transfer theoretical material into reality. The fear of embracing the immensity is gone”
The participants paid special attention to the fact that they had the opportunity to learn real examples from Abby’s practice: both successful and unsuccessful. The strategies and principles of fundraising, branding and discussion of NGO’s logos were also relevant and in demand for the participants.
The trainings are organized by the Office for European Expertise and Communications in partnership with the U.S. Embassy in Belarus.